I did it. I jumped on the bandwagon and I can’t get off. I love mason jars. But my love goes even further than just mason jars. I really love ALL glass jars.
My obsession began after my wedding when I suddenly had more than a dozen mason jars on my hands after using them for our centerpieces. Not wanting them to go to waste, I quickly began thinking of any way I could use them around the house. Which then led to me buying all sorts of shapes and sizes of jars…for everything.
If you find yourself with some extra jars lying around, here are eight ways to put them to good use.
1. Store your grains: Keeping your grains in mason jars is both pretty and practical. Bonus tip: Add chalkboard labels on the front to keep track of what’s in each jar AND on the back so you can easily keep cooking instructions on hand.
2. Keep your herbs & spices organized: In my DIY organized spice jar post, I share how I use 4oz jars to store mine.
3. Corral plastic bags: This is a great way to keep bags (in my case grocery store produce bags) tidy and easy to access. Bonus tip: Use plastic produce bags while you cook as a mini waste bin next to your work station so you don’t have to run back and forth to the trash can.
4. Store extra salt: This is a great way to get bulky packaging out of your pantry. You can even cut out the spout from the original box for easy pouring.
5. Make your own DIY fridge freshener: I hate the sight of a big orange baking soda box in the back of my fridge. Put the baking soda in a mini mason jar instead to keep your fridge smelling fresh.
6. Store your makeup/beauty products: These little 4oz jars are great for storing brushes, mascara, eye liner and other small beauty products.
7. Use as a plant pot: This is a cute way to add some variety to your planters.
8. Make a pretty centerpiece: Mason jars are a great base to a beautiful centerpiece – whether it be simply a few flowers picked from your garden, or a more elaborate piece for a special event.